Thursday, April 2, 2009

Silos

Been thinking lately about silos ~ those stately-looking, round structures you see when you drive out into the country past an old farmstead . . . probably filled with grain or some other crop, representing a family's livelihood. Brings to mind thoughts of the rewards of hard work, forward thinking and preservation. They represent strength, uniqueness, purpose, much of what I aspire to be. I have a thing for silos I guess.

But, silos can be seen another way also . . . THE one idea, towering above all else, standing out, and maybe obstructing the view. While I admire these intriguing architectural structures, I wonder if BEING a silo is the best thing. It's tempting. I mean, if I'm good I could get notoriety, lots of people taking my picture, maybe even a magnet created in my honor. But, . . . what if in all my silo-ness I just obstruct the view of the horizon? What if my strong independent streak blinds me to the talent, passion and incredible smarts of the people around me? What if all anyone sees is me? Yikes.

Glad to be working with folks in communications and marketing that are so talented, passionate and smart! You guys help keep me from becoming a silo. :)

Cheryl

4 comments: