Thursday, March 19, 2009

Things in need of a re-design

by Jamie.

Design Observer's Jessica Helfand shares 10 things that need redesigning. And over at Fast Company is another list of 8 everyday objects in need. I couldn't help but agree with most of them. Especially TV remotes! As designers we're constantly looking at the world around us and evaluating things. As Helfand points out humans are fundamentally yearning for beauty, designers especially. And when we find something not beautiful, we ask, "why?"

I think it's important to always be evaluating the things around us, asking the fundamental question of beauty, but moreover if the object is effective in its purpose. I think this is a great exercise for getting us to think about design in a more utilitarian way. I know I tend to get in a rut and sometimes neglect the bigger picture. So what's on your list?

I'll throw one out to start...
- Tolls/tollways. Granted, some improvements have been made with the EZ Pass, or I-Pass (in Chicago). But it's an incredible waste of time and gas to be stopping (or slowing down to the degree that is required to scan the tag) in the middle of an interstate. There's got to be a better way.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree.. if only $$ weren't an issue. One thing to note: TiVo did a FABULOUS job on their remote and I think it has won design awards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see a re-design of the spendy, shiny stainless steel pots and pans I purchased so that they retain their beautiful shiny, mirror-like surface whether washed by hand or in the dishwasher.

    On a more serious note, I read recently that a good copywriter will read an ad, an intro to a story or a blog post and by the end of the first few lines already have figured out a better way to say it. Granted, it might not necessarily BE better, but that's how to think in order to stay sharp and keep the creative well full.

    ReplyDelete